Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Daycare week 1

The kids started daycare this week.  It is going to be a gradual transition.  On Monday, they were there for two hours, and on Tuesday they were there for four hours.  Today (Wed) the teachers have a meeting, so I am home with them.  Tomorrow they will be there for six hours, and then they will be there full-time by Friday.

My thoughts so far:

Zev:  Zev is in love.  The first day we brought him in, he took one look at the toys and didn't even say good-bye.  He was off and running.  It helps that he had friends there.  The father of one of them emailed me later that day and told me when he dropped off his daughter,  "Zev was having the time of his life, and he and Ellie were thrilled to see each other".  He did tell me that evening that "I was looking for mommy and she wasn't there".  I told him mommy didn't go to school anymore and that she went to work.  The second day he almost exploded with excitement when we pulled up.

I think he'll be fine.

The girls:  No worries there either.  No crying, no yelling, no sobbing when we left.  The director was surprised.  They got 'A+s' on their sheet.  Did great both days.  The teachers expect Meorah to walk any day now...they are working on it with her already.  They say that Tzelia is the fastest one there, even though she isn't walking (doesn't surprise me...the girl is FAST!).

They'll be fine.

What can I say:  there are no introverts in my family.  Social butterflies and flirts, all of them.

More practical stuff:  It is a PAIN packing everything up the day before.  Snacks, milk, diapers, etc.  Ugh.  It makes the evenings much more difficult and the mornings a bit more complicated.  Drop off can be anytime between 7 and 8.  Previously, Nicole was coming over around 8:15-30, and now we need to be out of the house by 7:30.  So the kids' schedule has moved up half an hour.  I still get up at the same time, but it means the morning routine is slightly more rushed.

It also doesn't help that the kids are actually in different buildings across the street from each other.  What we are planning on doing:  we all go in the minivan to drop off the kids.  Jason will take Zev or the girls, and I will take the other.  Jason will then continue to work from there (its a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride) and I will continue to work from there in the minivan; the daycare is slightly out of my way, but not horribly.  For pick-up, either we'll meet there together, or I'll go pick up the girls and Jason can pick up Zev himself and they can both take the bus.  We haven't figured that out yet.

Overall it was a good choice.  Zev will get a lot out of it and I think the girls will too.

We are still trying to set up a 'good-bye' conversation with Nicole over the phone.  We have been playing phone tag.  She sent me an email a few days ago asking how the kids were doing and saying how much she missed them and thought about them every day.  We got contacted by the DA's office, who wants to know if we are interested in continuing the trial.  While it isn't our decision, they will take our opinion into consideration.  Her pre-trial hearing is in May.

So things are settling into their new normal.  Slowly but surely....

On an unrelated note, I"m so glad its spring again.  This cold weather is just killing me.  And, I am going to my first board meeting for my moms of multiples group tonight:  they asked me to be the support chair since the old one was moving and I said sure.  I like being involved and it will be nice to become more familiar with some of the women in my group.  Not that I need more things on my schedule.....

No comments:

Post a Comment