Friday, November 26, 2010

Belated Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

I subscribe to a lot of blogs on a lot of different topics.  Yesterday, almost all of them had a 'be thankful' message.  I didn't have time to do a posting....so mine will be a day late.

Yes, I have lots to be thankful for.  Another preemie mom friend of mine wrote me the other day, asking how I was holding up coming onto the one year anniversary of the girls' birth.  She's having a bit of a difficult time with her son's first birthday coming up and the memories it is bringing on.  In a way, I'm blessed that I have a very busy life that keeps me distracted from the memories of the past...I do have my girls, but I am also working full time and have a toddler.  I barely have time to breathe, never mind reflect on the last year.  But I do think it is important to take a moment to be consciously grateful for a few things...

I am thankful that my girls are as healthy as they are.  For 30 week preemies, they are doing amazingly well.  Even their pediatrician is shocked at how healthy they are.  We got lucky.  I read a fair amount of preemie message boards, and I know what we could be dealing with.  Obviously we aren't out of the woods and for all I know we'll be dealing with some future learning disabilities or other problems, but for now, things are great.  I am thankful for that.

I am thankful that my son is as well adjusted as he is.  The year was rough on him too, but he amazes me every day.  As I'm writing this, we have a back-up babysitter downstairs (Nicole's baby is sick, so she couldn't come today) and even though he only met Keisha less than two hours ago, they are having a great time downstairs.  Last night at my sister's house, he had a blast.  Sure, he has his moments, but so do I.  He's human.  And for an almost-three year old, he does amazingly well.

I am thankful for my husband.  Chronic stress can obviously affect a marriage very badly, but he has hung in there and stepped up to the plate and is just amazing.  He has spent a fair amount of the year being a single parent as I've dealt with various health problems and was incredible.  Unlike a high majority of dads, he is an extremely active parent and is a fantastic father.  And a wonderful, wonderful husband.  I couldn't ask for anything more and I could write enough to really express how fantastic he is.

I am thankful for my family.  Our family has had a rough six months, which I haven't talked that much about in here.  But I think it has brought us closer together in some ways.  And while I'm not happy with the events that have gone on, I am thankful that we have been able to weather through it so far.

And practically speaking, I am thankful for what we have.  Like lots of people right now, we are stressed about our finances and the economy.  We are hoping to move out of our house if we can, and while we aren't happy with where we are, I am thankful we have a place to live, jobs that pay well, a nanny that loves our children, and more laughter than tears.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment