Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Exactly one year ago I was put on bed rest.

Exactly one year ago I went to a doc appointment to be looked at.  Go an internal ultrasound to look at my cervix and see how things were progressing.  We could tell it wasn't good by the way the technician was acting.

Went back into the room to wait for my OB.

Was told to go directly home.  Directly to bed.  Do not go to work to pick up your things, do not stop for anything.

Go to bed and stay there.  As long as possible.

I was 20 weeks pregnant.  The goal was to make it to 24 weeks.  If something happened between before then, there was nothing they could do.  I was to call and come in so I wouldn't be alone, but there would be no saving the babies.  If I wanted to end the pregnancy now, I had that option:  the stress of long bed rest can be rough.  If I made it to week 24, I was to be hospitalized and given steroid shots.  And we would then take it week by week.

I made it to week 24.  I got my steroid shots.  Went home, stayed home for Halloween and enjoyed that.

I made it to week 26.  I went into pre-term labor.  That was stopped with magnesium sulfate.

I stayed in the hospital until week 28.  At the height of the swine flu.  I barely got to see my son due to hospital lock-down and lived alone in a hospital room due to the fact I am a MRSA carrier.  Other than my nurse, I hardly saw anyone for two weeks.  The only nice thing was the daily visits from my husband since he worked there.

Discharged at week 28.  Was home for Thanksgiving.  Celebrated my birthday a day early with my family. Pre-term labor at week 30, on my birthday.  Couldn't stop that one.  OB was in Dallas, was giving directions via text to his associates while I was paralyzed and throwing up on magnesium sulfate.

Girls born 30 weeks, 1 day.  Day after my 32nd birthday.

And now they are doing great.  My health has yet to be good...I realized this after coming back from the surgeon yesterday.  Since Oct 2nd, 2009 I've dealt with the above pregnancy problems.  That was followed by the bad c-section recovery, the ulcer/GI problems. pneumonia, continued diastasis issues, and now the abdominoplasty complications.

I feel really really bad for my husband for having to deal with all of this.  He is a gem, he really is.


(I can't believe how naive we were....)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, my goodness, you poor thing and the hits keep coming :-(

    I promise to keep up with the blog better, I hate that I missed 3 days of posts, with my head up my ass.

    I am glad the second surgery went okay and you are back home, I know it sucks to have to spend more time recovering though. Before you know it though this will be over and you will have another story to tell!

    Email coming soon, today! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morgan. Just drop an email when you can. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jason is a gem and so are you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. one very looong tough year for you for sure. I am really hoping bad streak is over and from now on everything will be getting only better

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a gem, but you also sound like one heck of a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies. I really appreciate the support. Hopefully things are on an upswing.

    ReplyDelete