Sunday, January 31, 2010

Typing with a baby on my lap...

Once again, we have been told that Tzelia is coming home.  At this point, I'm not going to believe it until we actually walk into the house with her (and even then, I'll probably be waiting for them to call me to have her returned to the NICU....). The five-day-spell-free period will end, and unless something happened last night (or tonight), she'll be ours after her eye appointment tomorrow.

And the hospital NICU drama will be over.  I'm actually not that excited yet...probably because we've already been told twice before that she'll be coming home, only to have that retracted.  So we'll see...

Our other big concern right now:  Meorah's reflux.  Her reflux has actually gotten a bit worse, in my opinion.  When we lay her down, regardless of how long ago her feeding was, about half the time she will immediately reflux:  milk will come out of her nose and her mouth will get foamy.  She will be in obvious discomfort, and it is very hard to see.  We started putting her more upright in her car bed (car seat for preemies that can lay flat and be at an incline) and that works a little bit, but is not a cure-all.  Unfortunately, she is most comfortable on her stomach, which is pretty typical for reflux.  But, due to SIDS risk, she can't be on her tummy to sleep.  It is somewhat interesting:  the sleeping recommendations for preemies sometime actually recommend tummy-sleeping due to reflux despite the SIDS risk.  It seems to depend on the pediatrician.  I am not comfortable with that, though, and Jason and I were chatting about looking into getting an apnea monitor for the house.  It is possible that our insurance would pay for one, so I will chat with our pediatrician at the appointment next week and see if we can get a prescription for two (one for each).  If that isn't an option, there is a commercially available monitor/pad that detects lack of movement and sets of an alarm after 25 seconds of no movement.  I've seen other preemie mommies with them and the reviews are pretty decent.  But if we can get a real one,I would prefer that.

Personally, things are ok.  We were invited to a house-warming today, and since we can't bring Meorah out in public until April (!!!!!), we tag-teamed so we could both go.  I went alone while Zev was napping, and Jason left with Zev when I came back.  It was very nice to get out of the house and (gasp) be a little social for once.  I feel like I don't have much going on in my life right now, and feel a bit 'boring'...while I have a lot of drama going on, it is all 'baby' drama, which is actually pretty boring.  I'm not going anywhere or really 'doing' anything, and barely have time to read or watch the news.  Hence my day-to-day life is pretty...well...boring.  So being out of the house and doing something fun is a nice change.  I do still get a lot of shocked looks when people see me out of the house; I've been antisocial since October due to the bed rest and now with the girls keeping me home/hospital.  Once the girls are here for a bit, I look forward to having people over again and having more social time/being more up-to-date on how friends are doing.

I also look forward to starting up my hobbies again.  I did start visiting the gym again, and am horrified at how weak I've become in the last four months.  Not surprising of course, but disappointing.  I really do want to try to figure out a good lifting schedule, but will probably have to wait until I have a better idea as to how the weeks are going to go.  Prior to pregnancy, I was going at least 4x/week for lifting, and usually another 1 or 2 for some intervals.  I have no delusions of doing such a thing again (and don't really want to), but I would like to make it in to lift 3x/week for a full-body.  The intervals:  nah.  What I would love to do at some point is take up boxing, but I'm not sure I'd be able to fit that in.  We'll have to see.  Being active keeps me mentally healthy, so it is a high priority for me.  We'll just have to see how it will all come together...

No comments:

Post a Comment